Green Building and LEED Experience
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™ encourages and accelerates global adoption of sustainable green building and development practices through the creation and implementation of universally understood and accepted tools and performance criteria. Measurement for compliance is divided into key areas:
- Water efficiency
- Energy Atmosphere
- Materials and resources
- Indoor environmental quality
- Innovation and Design process
Depending on the objective of the project, the client will request a qualification to receive a set amount of points to achieve an award standard.
LEED is a third-party certification program and the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings. LEED gives building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
A&T Project Developments’ approach to the LEED program is to educate our sub-trades on the policies and protocols to ensure that our trades and staff are aware of their part in the process.
We are confident we can embrace the LEED approach regardless of the project.
Please visit the Canada Green Building Council website at www.cagbc.org for more information.
A&T Project Developments Inc. is BuiltGreen Certified. This certification means that your home will be 3rd party certified, energy efficient, and environmentally responsible. Having a BuiltGreen home adds value by promoting the use of resource-efficient and environmentally friendly construction practices and products.
Please visit www.builtgreencanada.ca for more information.
A&T Project Developments Inc. became an accredited business with Climate Smart B.C. in 2011 having completed a 6 month training program and overall business review of our businesses’ carbon footprint. Climate Smart B.C. is dedicated to helping small and medium businesses foster the transition to a prosperous and low-carbon future. Through the first year of our Climate Smart program, A&T endeavored to reduce our carbon footprint in 2011/12 by 10%…and we more than surpassed our goals!
We had the following success:
- 1.5% reduction in electricity used
- 2% reduction in heating
- 16% reduction in staff commuting
- 24% reduction in goods transportation (sourcing as many products as we can locally)
- 80% reduction in paper consumption!!
Some of the initiatives we challenged ourselves to take on included:
- Continue to source building materials from local suppliers
- Reducing items being transported to the dump by (focus on recycling at job sites, find local companies to take scrap wood, metal etc)
- Office heating/cooling system on timer
- Part of the “BuiltGreen” building group where we go above and beyond building codes to ensure the greenest materials, products and standards are used.
- Donate old plan rolls to daycares to use for colouring
- Use energy efficient appliances/lighting
- Print double sided (when able)
- Run dishwasher only once per week (when full)
- Turn lights off at end of each work day
- Use laptops rather than desktop computers
- Store laptops turned off in back each evening
- Recycle office paper
- Purchase eco-friendly office supplies
- Purchase recycled ink cartridges
- Turn lights off in rooms not in use
- Take part in webinars (rather than driving to meeting locations)
- Use single cup coffee machine
- Using natural light from office windows on sunny days rather than overhead lights
We endeavour to maintain these amazing levels of reductions going forward into next year and hope to inspire others around us to start a reduction program of their own!
Please visit www.climatesmartbusiness.com for more information.